FROOT BY MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS IS BITTERSWEET

Marina and the Diamonds is a cult artist, she is not a big mainstream pop diva, but she is maybe the best popstar of the decade.

Her previous 2 albums were full of weird, original and mind blowing songs. Who can forget the strange but incredible Mowgli's road, or the heart pumping Oh No! from "The Family Jewels". Who can dare not to remember her vocals on Teen Idle, or her best song "How To Be a Heartbreaker".

Nevertheless, Froot is a bittersweet follow up to the incredible Electra Heart and The Family Jewels. Froot feels cheap produced, and the songs aren't as weird and captivating as her previous hits.

However, Marina continues to be an exceptional writer. Savages is probably the best song on the album (and of the world right now) nor only is the best produced song of the record, but her voice is at her best, the verses are typical Marina, and accompanied by a catchy hook we are introduced to a polemic but honest chorus " How can we expect anything at all/We're just animals still learning how to crawl". In my opinion this is maybe the most incredible song by Marina "I'm not afraid of God/ I'm afraid of man" she snaps. Even the verses are big "We steal, we kill we lie". "Another day, another tale of rape". Her verses detonate. And the bridge ties it all perfectly "Are you killing for yourself or killing for your savior". In my opinion this is the most incredible song by Marina.

After Savages we are followed by average to mildly good pop songs. One of my personal favorites is the ballad "Immortal", it's ethereal and it's sad and it's lyrically original. "Everybody dies, dies. If I could buy forever at a price, I would buy it twice" she admits she's human and afraid of dying though it's something natural "When you love somebody, they always leave to soon, but a memory can make a flower bloom" she sings angelically.

Another of my favorites is Blue. "we've broken up and now I regret it, I said goodbye when I shouldn't have said it", one of the things I loved about this album is that is deeply human and talks about common mistakes "I'm a ruin", "happy" and "savages all talk about humanity and mistakes. "No I don't love you... I just wanna be held when I'm scared" Marina confesses throughout the song.

Sadly Froot is a subpar album for an album that took 2 years to see the light of day, the songs weren't that good, the music a bit cheap and Marina's vocals were incredible in some of the songs but in others were deeply missed.

However Pop needed Marina, Pop is nothing without Marina, even with this album her lyrics and her songs are better than anything written between 2014-2015. Marina doesn't talk about sex or partying or being a bitch she talks about being human, she talks about human nature. Her lyrics are personal, her lyrics are honest and for that I will play FROOT a thousand times more on my Ipod. Nevertheless the shadow of Electra Heart and The Family Jewels will reign over me while doing so.

Comentarios